Jason M. Adams, Esq.
Mr. Adams’ career began as a litigation attorney concentrating on HOA representation/litigation, construction defects and insurance bad faith. Adams has represented countless HOAs as general counsel and secured millions of dollars in recoveries for homeowner association clients against developers and subcontractors for defective construction of multi-unit developments. Mr. Adams also represented developers and contractors who sought his counsel, sometimes after being on the other side of a dispute from Mr. Adams. Adams also secured a jury verdict against the Nation’s largest health insurance company for wrongful denial of a liver transplant.
Adams has also served as a casualty insurance broker for a premier wholesale brokerage where he assisted in placing hundreds of project (OCIP/CCIP, Owner/GC Project Specific and Owner’s Interest) and practice policies for some of the largest construction projects in the country. Adams has worked with leading general contractors, developers and Fortune 500 companies to create complex insurance programs for billions of dollars worth of projects. His focus in the insurance industry was on creating new products, program design and industry education.
Adams’ unique blend of legal and insurance experience provides an unparalleled perspective when it comes to resolving disputes in the niche areas of HOA, construction and insurance coverage. Adams is intimately familiar with the CGL policy and different carrier forms and endorsements. This familiarity is critical because the resolution of a dispute often comes down to whether a settlement will be funded by the insurance company. Adams has also worked in construction and walked hundreds of job sites. Adams’ real world insight regarding how construction programs, endorsements, claims and litigation will play out if and when the policies are tested at trial are essential to “bottom lining” complex disputes. This experience is a great asset to both sides in terms of getting deals done.
Bar Admissions & Licenses:
Experience, Courses and Designations:
• Court Appointed Mediator/Settlement Officer – Santa Monica Superior Court
• Mediation Panel – Community Associations Institute (CAI)
• Pepperdine University School of Law – Dispute Resolution (Mediation and Arbitration Course)
• Advanced Topics in Additional Insured Risk Transfer
• Emerging Issues in Insurance Coverage and Risk Transfer
• SDV Summit: Construction Defect Roundtable
• Assurex Construction Practice Group Seminar
• Construction Insurance University
• MCLE Lecture – “Ethics In Legal Advertising”
• “Evidence at trial: Mistakes I made so you don’t have to.” Advocate Magazine – [Link to PDF Article]
• “Toxic Mold” Ventura County Star
• “New Construction Law Effects Every Homeowner” Ventura County Star
• Community Associations Institute (CAI)
• South Coast Homeowners Association
• California Legislative Action Committee (CLAC)
• Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles
• American Trial Lawyers Association
• Consumer Attorneys of California
• Calabasas Chamber of Commerce
• Ventura County Bar Association
• Association of Surfing Lawyers (founding member)
• American Bar Association
• Construction Risk and Insurance Specialist (CRIS)
• Southern California “Super Lawyer – Rising Star” in the area of construction defect litigation (8x)
• “Top 40 Under 40” – National Trial Lawyers Association
• Invitee of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum
In his spare time, Adams organizes a charity suit drive which provides business attire to low-income individuals in order to prepare for job interviews. Adams has also worked as a volunteer attorney and mediator providing pro bono legal services to low-income clients.
Jason enjoys mountain/road biking, traveling and Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Adams played semi-professional beach volleyball, has surfed in seven countries, completed the Los Angeles Marathon/Malibu Triathlon/Spartan Race/Tough Mudder, and recently summited Mt. Kilimanjaro. Adams resides in Los Angeles with his wife and two children where he is the outgoing “Federation Navigator” of the children’s YMCA Adventure Guide program.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Mediating all aspects of HOA disputes including, but not limited to: HOA versus owner, owner versus owner, governing document interpretation/enforcement, collections, fines, judicial and non-judicial foreclosures.
Mediation of all aspects of construction disputes including, but not limited to: construction defects, contractual disputes, indemnity and subrogation actions, surety and bonding issues, liens, professional (architects and engineers) and pollution.
Handling mediation of all aspects of coverage disputes including, but not limited to: coverage, denials, bad faith, policy interpretation, issues pertaining to wrap (OCIP/CCIP) and other insurance programs.
WHY ONLINE MEDIATION?
Online mediation is far more cost effective than traditional mediation because it eliminates, or greatly reduces, costs pertaining to overhead, travel, parking, conference space, child care, attorney travel time/fees, etc.
Log in anywhere. Avoid hours of traffic and travel. Dress comfortably in your own surroundings. Maximize use of down time while the mediator caucuses with the other side.
Simple, free software allows for face to face conferencing, private caucusing and easy sharing of documents.
Mediations are easier to schedule in a shorter timeframe when the necessary parties do not have to physically attend. No waiting for available conference facilities.
The parties to a dispute generally prefer to remain separated and to avoid uncomfortable interactions such as sitting in neighboring conference rooms, or running into one other in the mediator’s office. Online mediations eliminate these concerns.
Contact us to schedule your online mediation now.
Online services available nationwide. Willing to travel. Based in Southern California. Conference space in Calabasas. Contact me for details.